Accra Hustling

I’ve heard quite a few unforgettable expressions on the streets of Accra. Almost all of these were in Ghanaian languages.
Accra Hustling
Let’s see if I can translate them into English with the flavuor intact.
Accra Hustling
I remember once at Abossey Okai (where 99% of Ghanaians by spare parts for their cars), it started drizzling unannounced. A young man who was briskly passing by raised his eyes, looked up into the clouds and says “God, take it easy. Your children, we are busy hustling”.
Accra Hustling
Another time, I saw two hustlers fighting over money. The broke one was accusing his friend of being greedy. He’s friend retorted: “Even the sea, with all its water, doesn’t reject fresh rain”.
Accra Hustling
A guy buying coconut from a young kumasi man asked for a discount. Coconut seller looks poor man squarely in the eyes and says “Master, do you think I came to Accra to watch the sea?”
Accra Hustling
One time in Kantamanto, a guy almost knocked a woman’s wares over and didn’t even bother to stop. The angry woman yells at him” You! You are just a little more handsome than a monkey”.
Accra Hustling
Accra Hustling
Accra Hustling

Now, do have a great week :) And remember, better is always possible.
Accra Hustling

Comments

Anonymous said…
Invigorating! Great post!
robyn L. said…
I just have to say that I love your blog. :)
hahahaha still laughing
Unknown said…
Greatly enjoyed the translations. Got my chuckles for a Monday.
The vibrant colours in the pictures, took me on a short trip back to the continent.
Thanks for the post. Greatly appreciated.

Papa Awori
Anonymous said…
Beautiful ~ you have indeed captured it with the flavour intact. Thank you for sharing :)
Fayelle said…
I love your shots! Does anyone ever mind your camera?
Di said…
Hahaha. I hear even the sea does not reject fresh rain water. Hahahaha. This has lifted my spirits.
Jake KY said…
Nana Kofi, Very brilliant images you have there. Wow, takes my breath away!!!! Hope to see more of those. Bravo
luna9 said…
¡QUE BUEN POST! COMO BUEN ARTISTA ESTÁS ATENTO NO SOLO A LA BUENA IMAGEN, SINO A TODO LO QUE OCURRE ALREDEDOR Y ESCUCHAS COSAS QUE A LA MAYORÍA SE NOS PASAN DESAPERCIBIDAS.
ABRAZO

Popular Posts