Zanzibar- where the bride and groom walked on water.



Wow, it feels good to be back on here again. I have had severe withdrawal symptoms these past few weeks I’ve stayed away from this blog. As you, my dear frequent readers well know, that is not the norm. It’s just been busy days- very good busy day, shooting the wedding of one of Africa’s finest entrepreneurs and philanthropists, Fred Swaniker and his lovely, super amazing wife Amanda. And for the first time in my life, I watched a bride and her groom, walk on water. Yes, walk on water… but more of that will be in my next post.


Zanzibar is really as close to paradise as it gets here on earth. Wow. I have never seen anything like it; and as much as I love water, the climax of my trip was not the serene, aqua cyan blue waters. It was not Stone Town. It was a tiny incident that happened within the flash of a second, whilst touring this beautiful city that is  a fusion of Portuguese, Indian, Arab, English and African cultures creatively woven over many centuries to create a masterpiece. It is adorable. A must see. Stone Town is eye candy for a photographer; and yet even in that overdose of beauty, amazingly, fate surprised me with a once in a life time photograph.

We were on our way to see the Old Anglican church that was built on the premises of the old slave market. You know how sensitive I am about slavery. I dreaded what awaited us. But a few steps through the tiny alleys,  a little boy, not more than two years old,  runs into view from a corner alley, his cat on his shoulder, being pursued by his dad as he giggles speedily to I-don’t-know-where. Everything happened in less than 5 seconds. It was a miracle I got any shots. I am glad I did. 

I know some of you are anxious to see some pictures from the wedding. I will share them in good time, with the blessing of Fred and Amanda. I sent them some teasers today, whilst I worked on a pdf they could send to friends and families who can’t wait for the whole enchilada. This is what they said when the saw the pictures: “Absolutely fabulous!!! Thanks so much for this teaser.. The PDF would be great. These pics look amazing! Thanks again.”  Thank you too, Fred and Amanda, for giving me the experience of a lifetime. It was an honour and a privilege to spend such a beautiful week with you.


Tomorrow at 17:00 GMT, I will be on Google hangout, talking about "The New African Image Through The New African Photography" with the African and Afro-Diasporan Art Talks. Do well to join us if you can. Working with Francis has been such a blessing. Daniel, my famous assistant is now married and lives in Seattle, no where close to Accra; and Francis really makes it easier to not miss "Agutti". 

Another very important good news is that, today, we officially got electricity at the Kokrobite house. I feel as if a big bad storm just passed and everything is clearing up now. The next big miracle I dream of is to get broad band at home again. I am spending far more on internet than I ever thought I would.  Whilst good, fast internet gets cheaper in other parts of the world, it is getting more expensive in Ghana; and with the telecom companies constantly finding new ways to steal from their customers, the future looks dim; but this is not the day for depressives. 


Today is a good day, and it is good to be back on here. 


Comments

Popular Posts