African Woman

Woman at the Mill
It’s always intriguing to hear an African man describe African Women.
I’m not talking about a man talking about one particular woman, but African women in the more generic sense.

I have also observed that even in my small country of Ghana, ones choice of descriptors will be heavily influenced by where one comes from; and the general perception of ones tribe. For example, I come from a matrilineal tribe. Women in my family have always been powerful. So the first time I heard of Feminism, I was totally confused. Overtime, as I explored the country, I discovered the power my grandmother, mother and sister enjoy in my tribe is not necessarily the common experience of all African women.

This photograph, is of a woman doing a man’s job in a part of the country where women really are treated as second class citizens. I love this photograph because I have always been of the opinion that a woman doesn’t need to look or act like a man to gain respect; in fact, I think that rather reenforces the stereotype. I love to see feminine women calling the shots because that is the ultimate proof that “Men and Women are created equal”.  
Have a great week.

Comments

Nii Odzenma said…
We indeed are all created equal but some photographers like yourself are leading the pack. Great work.
Unknown said…
great work, will post more comments later
Anonymous said…
jehovah created women as helper better still companions to their fellow men not to be subdued..great work my man
Olivier Day said…
Here's to 'powerful' women everywhere. You are so right - why judge between the abilities of a "man" or (wo)man...aren't they both HUman?
Anonymous said…
Lovely shot.
What tribe are you from?

Popular Posts