My king has constipated in his mind... or not?


Bedroom Portrait I
Your Majesty,
I spent a big part of yesterday at Old Fadama. I know your people prefer calling it “Sodom and Gomorrah”. Whilst there, I met a number of people who are homeless. Hamdia, Fati and Suweiba showed me where they have to spend their night nowadays; since your “boys” demolished the wooden structure they used to call home. Can you imagine what happened to them when it started raining like crazy last night? My biggest concern is Fidaws, Hamdia’s one year old boy. 

Your Majesty, if I may ask... Exactly What Is Your Problem?
Forgive me for asking this. I know in Ghana, this question alone is considered an insult but if you’d… pause… and think about it, you might be surprised to realize you'd never  thought about it. At least, not deeply enough. For your information, these young women are not your problem. Something else is. Their only problem is, they need a place to lay their heads every night. When you demolish their “houses” without providing alternatives, their problem doesn’t go away. They still must sleep somewhere at night. 

When you have a country where  ALL your industries and major businesses are situated in the south, especially Accra, why are you surprised when all your people pack up from  the other regions and come looking for their share of the national cake in the capital? In fact, you yourself are the ultimate example of a Ghanaian who came from somewhere in the regions and found greener pastures in Accra. Heck, we even call you "Mr. President" now. Isn’t that proof and motivation enough for all young people to catch the next trotro to Accra? 

As you might be aware, Ghana, especially Accra, doesn’t attract only Ghanaians. Most of the youth in all our neighboring countries dream of coming here to seek greener pastures.  Unfortunately, when they are coming, they don’t carry their houses along with them here, which is quite a shame since we have to share the few we have with all of them, giving our landlords the fine opportunity to rip us off.  Now, how does a girl who carries other people’s goods in the market on her head in the hot, unforgiving sun for a few pesewa coins gather enough money to pay a landlord 2 years rent in advance?

The people you like to call “Squatters”, “armed robbers”, “prostitutes”, “foreigners”, and many such derogatory terms, are often not what you think they are. Most of them work far harder than those praise singers and malnourished hyenas most African leaders, apart from your majesty, surround themselves with. In fact, can you show me a single member of your choir who works harder than these three girls? 

Your Elected Highness,  I’ve been thinking real hard and so far according to all the symptoms, I think I’m seeing a case of “Constipation of the Mind”...  but I might be wrong since I’m no expert. So… what is your problem?

Comments

Brooms said…
Would your highness be the president or the chiefs? Am confused.
Sam said…
In Old Fadama it is about the Chief and the A.M.A., but in general about all men in power, I would say.

I love this picture, as the people in it look strong and proud!
Unknown said…
I totally like the picture and I love your blog.

And everything u wrote is so damn true and its exactly what I am thinking about every time I come back to Ghana.

Have a nice evening,
Akosua
Unknown said…
Hi, I just want to say I'm a big fan of your work. I have a question for you as well, I'd like t ask what camera and/or editing software, if any, you use?

Popular Posts