What is Beauty to you?

I thought we could start this week with something interesting. Felivian, the model in the first picture is one I enjoy photographing. She fits a textbook definition of what a beautiful model should look like.
dion
But just like fashion, music and life in general, trends and definitions change. In some cases, the definitions are pretty ancient but not necessarily obsolete. I photographed these two ladies in Yamasoukrom. I think they are very beautiful too.
beautiesBut even beyond the physical/ visual definitions of beauty, I know that true beauty is an inner thing. The women who have made the most impressions on me have not always been physically gorgeous but I bet every single one of them had beamed with so much dignity, intelligence, charm, wit and an undeniable appetite for life and laughter. That... to me, is beauty.
What is your definition of beauty?

Comments

Fiona Leonard said…
maybe it's differentiating between 'benchmark' beauty and 'self realised' - can be mutually exclusive, overlap, both can be a work in progress.

I grapple with this question in relation to T who wants to be a model. Part of me is horrified at the thought - even when she reassures me that she will never get anorexia etc! I wonder whether a girl/woman can entering the modelling industry and not worry about what their knees look like, or whether they're too fat, and whether eventually she will stop seeing the beauty in herself and instead spend her time looking for flaws.
Hi Fiona, I can totally understand your apprehension at T's modeling ambitions. Even I am sometimes uncomfortable at how they are generally treated in the industry and doubt it's a path I'd encourage my daughter to take.

I'm sure there a few exceptional models who have managed to have both a successful career and a personal private lives. It is possible but the chances are slim
Anonymous said…
I agree that beauty is an inner thing. And once you realize it, it shows on the outside as well!

Popular Posts